[talk] pfSense hardware recommendation

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Mar 1 18:22:25 EST 2016

> On Mar 1, 2016, at 6:12 PM, Patrick McEvoy <mcevoy.pat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone recommend a small form factor (and priced) wired router  that
> will run pfSense? I seem to remember a little three port device
> mentioned on either this list or another, but can not find the email. It
> was black and around $100. The unit did not have wireless.

Perhaps not what you’re looking for, but for home use I just replaced an
old Dell GX-110 with a P-III/600MHz with a not as old Dell SFF PC that
I found on Amazon for $70.  Had a built-in broadcom GigE NIC, added
two cheap Realtek cards (PCI and PCI-e), the whole thing came in under
$100, and has power to spare for home use.  It pulls about 14W when
idle, haven’t seen it peak over 25W.

Just another option…  It’s not tiny, but it’s pretty small.

Charles