[talk] S3 Work-a-likes

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Nov 3 12:39:57 EDT 2016

On 11/3/16 8:48 AM, Mark Saad wrote:

>> On Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:58 AM, Siobhan Lynch <slynch2112 at me.com> wrote:
>>>

>>>  On Nov 3, 2016, at 10:38 AM, Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  All
>>>  Last night there was a discussion about s3 work-a-likes. Here are the two
>> that I know of.
>>>
>>>  1. LeoFS .
>>>     Written in Erlang, and runs well enough on FreeBSD, Solaris, Illumos ,
>> Linux and maybe even  Windows.
>>>
>>>  Written by rakuten and used in production on a number of things. Including
>> Project-Fifo.net, Rakuten.com
>>>  and a number of other systems.
>>>
>>>  http://leo-project.net/leofs/
>>>
>>>  2. Minio .
>>>    Written Go , and claims to be supported on many platforms .
>>>  Its fairly new but aims to be fully compatable.
>>>  https://minio.io
>>>

>>>  Also fun things with LeoFS, it can run inside of a Zone or a Jail.
>>>

>> Ceph has radosgw which is a REST gateway to emulate s3.
>

> Trish
>   I want to know why everyone is talking about ceph ? Not that I am in love with LeoFS .
> But ceph has lots of issues on not linux.

tl;dr version: it's shite.  the longer story...it's shite and focused on
linux pretty much.

i kid i kid - it's def some interesting technology, but even before
RedHat acquired Inktank there was a ton of linux specific foo baked into
the code.

and even if you are running it on linux it's really unstable IMHO
outside of some specific use-cases.  but even then, using it as a block
storage backend for openstack for example, it is definitely not for the
faint of heart to implement and maintain at scale.

just my two bits - i'm sure there are plenty of counterpoints out there
- but i've often put lots of hope that ceph will mature into a product
as it would have made my life *much* easier only to be disappointed.

-p

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org