[talk] Fine I put tape over my webcam but now what

Jim B. jpb at jimby.name
Thu Nov 3 21:44:31 EDT 2016

* Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> [2016-11-03 18:41]:
>    Ok
>
>      So here is a good read from the land of tinfoil hats and hacking  air
>    gapped openbsd laptops via sound.
>
>    [1]http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/how-to-block-the-ultrasonic-
>    signals-you-didnt-know-were-tracking-you/
>
>    So the tldr parts , ad tracking via ultrasound beacons . Imagine you
>    install the wallmart app to get the 25% off coupon but it's tracking
>    you via ultrasound beacons.
>
>    Interesting non the less .

Interesting for sure.  But I doubt The Big W would go to all that extra effort.
They already use GPS and Bluetooth as noted in their privacy policy:

   Location Information: We may collect information about your location
   when your device is set to provide location information. For example,
   your device's GPS signal allows us to show you the nearest Walmart stores.
   We may be able to recognize the location of a mobile device in stores
   where we provide customers free WiFi access.  Through mobile services,
   Bluetooth technology in our stores allows us to show you nearby products
   that may interest you. See "What Are Your Choices?" below for more information.
   http://corporate.walmart.com/privacy-security/walmart-privacy-policy

While that may sound scary, I can tell  you that they take your privacy (and
information security in general) very seriously.

If you have questions, let me know offline.  Full Disclosure - I work in
the information security organization at Walmart - where I'm just a bit
player really :-)

Cheers,
Jim B.