[talk] NYC*BUG Nov 2: Ike on Infrastructure in a Post-Cloud Era

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Oct 27 22:15:52 EDT 2016

On 10/27/16 15:15, Edward Capriolo wrote:
> As a guy who once registered the domain http://groundcomputing.com/ I will
> definitely attend.

Oh, my favorite top-poster on list... Mr. Capriolo.

I missed Ike's earlier version, but this is *that* meeting everyone
should be pulling their cloud-in-the-brain sysadmins to.

The more general point that is well-understood on this list is that the
"bare metal-era" never ended, it's just being outsourced, and priced in
a deceptive manner.

Sure, cloud or hybrid solutions make sense in certain contexts.

I can think of a few cases:

1. a business that scales seasonally and therefore doesn't want to do
the capital expenditures on hardware for a few months of use, only to be
replaced in the next interval.

2. and most commonly today, a startup that just wants to be acquired,
and doesn't want capital expenditures on their books.

I'm looking forward to this meeting, and I strongly urge people to drag
along others who don't get that the cloud is just a marketing term for
outsourcing hardware.