[talk] X11 setup, basic question

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Fri Apr 14 18:49:31 EDT 2017

Hey All,

---------
WONDERFUL

FreeBSD REL on a Lenovo X230, had X11 working GREAT.  Suspend/resume
working great, (using devd to trigger 'acpiconf -s 3' on lid close, [was
never working when twiddling hw.acpi.lid_switch_state]).

Been working like a champ for a couple months, enjoying really living
with ZFS on my laptop for the first time ever.  Like almost enjoying
this as much as I enjoyed OpenBSD on this rig.

-------
PROBLEM

I ran freebsd-update and complete pkg upgrades today, (last time was
2weeks ago) and all went to hell.

# uname -a
FreeBSD ...11.0-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p9 #0: Tue Apr 11
08:48:40 UTC 2017
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

List of broken bits:
- x11 would not light (using xfce)
  - display 0 issue, completely removed old /etc/xorg.conf and x11 lit
- x11 will not exit, just goes to a blue screen and freezes
- lenovo fn keys like brightness no longer work,
  (xbacklight also throwing error "No outputs have backlight property")
- suspend/resume no longer lights the display, but appear to wake the system
  (I haven't seen that problem in some time)

---------
QUESTIONS

Tabula rasa, I feel starting from scratch with X is in order.
Has anyone seen any good tutorials covering setup of lenovo laptops
using FreeBSD?  (Modern stuff, not old 8.x/9.x era stuff- which there is
plenty of online...)

Or, does anyone have any pointers on how I could have screwed up here?
(e.g. I could have missed some critical message during my updates, but I
have no idea where I missed it?!)

Any thoughts or notes much appreciated- it's a real bummer to hoze one's
laptop...

Best,
.ike