[talk] Disposible computers

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 19:22:44 EDT 2017

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017, Thomas Levine <_ at thomaslevine.com> wrote:

> George Rosamond writes:
> > It all really depends on the threat model.  That should be the starting
> > point, and not the technology and tools. What are you trying to protect
> > and from whom, and how high are the stakes? That determines everything,
> > including how much hassle you are willing to endure for a solution.
>
> Breaking and losing my stuff is mostly problematic because it is
> expensive and annoying to purchase and assemble it, and this is why I am
> switching to disposible computers. One threat is thus the untrustworthy
> airport staff working for airlines and airports who have strong
> incentives to give you wrong information. Such staff have multiple times:
>
> * confiscated my things that followed regulations
> * broken things inside my checked bags
> * given me wrong directions that cost me a lot of money
>
> The other threat, which I am more scared of even though it hasn't
> happened much to me, is that a government officer will create trouble
> for me because I am suspicious or because I have commited some crime
> that I in fact didn't commit.
>

> I recently tried checking a bag in hopes that it would make things easier.
> Of course, the airline representative gave me wrong directions about
> where to pick up the bag, so it took several days to get the bag, which
> was of course not easier. On the other hand, it turned out that
> attending a programming conference with only my purse and the clothes
> I was wearing was pretty okay. It really would have been nice to have
> a computer, but I realized that I can add a second change of clothes and
> a small disposible computer and still keep it to two purses.
>

> I have not really concerned myself with surveillance by governments
> because I think they have surely owned me by now if they wanted to.
> For example, I sometimes run software without fully reading its source
> code or installing it in a separate user, I usually don't cover my
> keyboard when I type passwords in public, and I have never checked for
> tampering with the electronics that I use.
>
> Also, I think that government surveillance organizations must quite
> incompetent at computing, just like technology companies, so I think I
> am inconveniencing them enough by simply using slightly unusual
> software. They'll own me if they try, but they'll have to exploit
> something just for weird people like me, and that would be a lot of
> custom work, not mass surveillance.
>
> It happens that my setup might do pretty well against mass surveillance
> for reasons other than obscurity. I can easily modify my setup such that
> I can travel with nothing, not even the knowledge of the password that
> I will need in order to rebuild everything.
>
> But I don't really like talking about government surveillance because
> I think the topic has become trendy enough that the discussion is
> usually mostly a marketing tool at this point.
>

> George Rosamond writes:
> > Then there's always the most effective approach: don't bring anything,
> [...]

A few of my buddies travled to China for a wedding. Devices can be
inspected/confiscated etc. At the time, the company we worked at had
'media' in the name. Even though it was an adtech company they believed
they received extra scrutiny because the government believed they were
affiliated with a news organization.

I personally would not bring a device with me outside the us that had
personal information or that of my company.

--
Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
usual.