[talk] mickey@ OpenBSD RIP

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sat Aug 12 23:59:00 EDT 2017

Mickey Shalayeff passed recently.

He was a longtime OpenBSD developer and had his fingerprints throughout
the operating system. He lived in Brooklyn for many years and was
involved in infrastructures around NYC. He was at Calyx (.com) when Nick
Merrill got the NSL.

He did a great NYC*BUG meeting for us many years ago.

I'll give more details later, and there's so many crazy stories about
Mickey.

He'll be sorely missed. He was talented and eternally devoted to good
code. Personally, I'll miss the long rambling emails we had so many
times hitting tech, politics and food.

He was the only person I ever met who put salt and pepper in coffee. He
communicated in mickeyese. Unintelligible to many, but hysterical to
read and listen to.

mickey.lucifer.net is filled with some of his gems, including his take
on the alleged OpenBSD IPSec backdoor.

http://images.kd85.com/mickey/IMAG0484.jpg

RIP mickey@