[talk] Supermicro source?

Ariel Sanchez Mora arielsanchezmora at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 18:16:44 EST 2017

A friend of mine likes CyberZone - several have bought these homelab bundles

https://tinkertry.com/superservers

On Dec 26, 2017 2:16 PM, "Charles Sprickman" <spork at bway.net> wrote:

Hi all,

I’m looking for a Supermicro vendor that’s somewhere between the “shopping
at 3 different stores to find chassis, RAM, drives, etc.” and full
white-labelled servers.  Like I pick a chassis/motherboard and the vendor
deals with finding compatible RAM and any oddball stuff like the drive
backplane for some small premium/markup.  The last guy I knew that did this
has been out of the business for at least 5 years (GCS).

Failing that, after some really bad experiences with overblown IBM/Lenovo
garbage, if I go with a server vendor, Dell feels like the least insane
choice.  Lenovo is really only for folks who are thrilled with long-term
support contracts where “fixing” things is basically swapping out hardware
until it works.  Also screw IBM and their EFI that takes 15 minutes to
boot. The HP server I have at home is a bit too proprietary.  The few Dells
I’ve dealt with seem to have a fairly minimal amount of bells and whistles
and have been in service for ages.  Any thoughts on their current lineup?

Thanks,

Charles