[talk] Re New Laptop

fire crow fire at firecrow.com
Sat Jul 1 21:37:56 EDT 2017

On Jul 1, 2017 20:56, "Scott Robbins" <scottro11 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 07:54:51PM -0400, Brian Cully wrote:

> > On 1-Jul-2017, at 13:40, Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On OpenBSD, I found that the iwm driver wouldn't connect to a hidden
> > wireless network. Also, when I replaced the card with a dual channel,
even
> > when connected to a 5GHz network, its wireless was slow. I would
recommend
> > if planning to play with BSDs on it, to get a USB to ethernet cable.
> > This was with a recent snapshot.
>
>       I couldn’t get good performance out of FreeBSD with any of the USB
WiFi dongles I tried. Support may be better with PCIe cards, but I don’t
have slots for those. So I tried:

I'm not familiar with each one--what I have found is that buying the really
cheap ones from NewEgg or Amazon often turn out to be a waste.  For me,
with two no-name ones (one 10/100, one 10/100/1000) my speeds are good.

(No serious benchmarking though.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

I have the the Lenovo 100S 14 inch ($200), and iwm wifi works well, the
intel graphics driver does not work with the i915 kernel module yet so the
only option is vesa, and I had to install from a usb current image to get
it to work with efi.

Hope that helps.

~fire