[talk] Re New Laptop

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Sun Jul 2 15:10:54 EDT 2017

On 07/02/2017 08:04, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 07:35:31PM +0530, Sujit K M wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 7:07 AM, fire crow <fire at firecrow.com> wrote:
>>> I have the the Lenovo 100S 14 inch ($200), and iwm wifi works well, the
>>> intel graphics driver does not work with the i915 kernel module yet so the
>>> only option is vesa, and I had to install from a usb current image to get it
>>> to work with efi.
>> Don't you think vesa is outdated to use in something like 2016+ Laptop.
> I know you're not asking me, but yes.  The Intel driver is really far
> behind. You may have better luck with OpenBSD as far as that goes. See my
> earlier post and link.
> If using EFI, you may be able to use scfb
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/SCFB

if running recent intel GPU's based on the i915 chipset on freebsd
please test out the code in this repository:

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics

specifically the "drm-next" branch.  this is actively being hacked on
and hopefully with enough testing/exposure will get merged upstream
sooner rather than later.  there is lots of work here to refactor how
the linuxkpi is implemented to make it easier to keep the i915 code
closer in sync with the intel code released for linux.

i run drm-next on all my daily drivers and it's actually quite stable
when watching video, browsing web and hacking on systems.

cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright