[talk] Personalization

Malcolm Matalka mmatalka at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 08:29:01 EDT 2017

Den 26 juli 2017 2:02 em skrev "Edward Capriolo" <edlinuxguru at gmail.com>:

The advertisers never needed cookies. Browsers can be fingerprinted in a
number of ways. 1) drawing a shape in hardware 2) unique lists of user
agent, plugins

What does drawing a shape in hardware mean?

Some companies can match offline data, your phone went to a best buy via ip
data, access to merchant credit data. Then you go home and that phone
reconnects to your access point, you use weathe app, app sells data , now
group the devices in your house to the tx. No cookies needed.

Cookies

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017, Brian Cully <bcully at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 24-Jul-2017, at 17:01, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
> >
> > while cookie data (and to a limited extent - local storage) is used by
> adtech sites, a majority of the tracking that happens is via 3rd party
> tracking pixels publishers inject into their websites.  for example if i
> load www.latimes.com there will be *lots* of calls to 3rd parties which
> will then obviously collect and analyzie your browsing behavior as you go
> from page to page and site to site. cookies tend to be used as a
> placeholder for a UUID associated with whatever device you are using at the
> time, although for mobile devices that's not even really needed anymore.
> >
> > tl;dr just use "privacy mode" in your browser + ublock + ghostery (plus
> other extensions i'm sure) and you have a decent shot in being semi-private
> on the commercial internet.
> >

>         If you use a Mac as your primary personal machine, I’d highly
> recommend using Little Snitch, an outbound firewall, as well as your
> standard suite of ad/tracker blocking. It can be annoying at first as you
> have to approve/deny a ton of connections, but that settles down after a
> while. You can also just put it in passive mode and go through it’s logs
> later to create rules.
>
>         I’ve found a lot of things that AdBlock doesn’t catch, and you can
> use it for any application, which, more and more, have started integrating
> trackers into themselves.
>
> -bjc

Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
usual.