[talk] OT: Free Secondary DNS?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Mar 11 02:29:20 EST 2017

> On Mar 10, 2017, at 1:32 PM, Thomas Kula <kula at tproa.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 01:06:44PM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Any recommendations for free secondary DNS for personal use?
>>
>> I’m currently using HE.net’s service, which is wonderful, but does not yet support DNSSEC (which is odd, since they run PowerDNS).
>>
>> I’m mainly looking for:
>>
>> - dual stack
>> - DNSSEC
>> - multiple servers and/or anycast
>> - free or super cheap
>>
>> I’ve found a few lists, including this:
>>
>> http://bornoe.org/blog/2015/10/free-secondary-slave-dns/
>>
>> Any other suggestions welcome, I assume there must be at least a few people here using this type of service…
>
> I've been slowly moving my personal stuff to hidden primary and using
> Someone Else(TM) as the public face of my DNS. I've happily been using
> Dyn's managed DNS service --- amusingly, I switched stuff over the very
> week their highly-publicised DDoS attack happened. Can't say anything
> about DNSSEC, but they've got the rest, they can do zone transfers from
> my hidden master, and I think the base level is something like $7 a
> month (I pay slightly more based on the number of records I have).
>
> My recent project is evaluating other providers to add redundancy, but
> that's in the very beginning stages.

Well, as sometimes happens, this went in an unexpected direction. :)

After some digging, I wasn’t too happy with the free options, and I’m too cheap to pay for “just” DNS (again, for personal use).  So instead I went on a search for cheap VPS providers that would let me get two small (512MB RAM, 20GB disk or so, dual stack v4/v6) for $5 or less a month.  I landed on something called “Vultr” and just started setting things up now.  This lets me do a few things - get powerdns talking to whatever DNS server is currently bundled with FreeBSD (unbound?), test another VPS provider, give FreeBSD 11 a spin, and of course add to my sysadmin burden.  There was a matching coupon good for up to $100 so I’m actually looking at $2.50/month for two small VPS instances.  My hope is this provider is decent.  The web UI and docs so far are great, network looks great, support for FreeBSD seems caveat-free, but we’ll see.  I have some hardware in a colo that needs retiring too…

Thanks,

Charles