[talk] puri.sm laptops - Too good to be true?

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Thu Oct 5 11:40:41 EDT 2017

Hey All,

Has anyone heard anything good/bad about the laptops from Purism
<http://puri.sm>?

I can't believe my eyes they look too cool.  Like nearly every aspect of
the laptop design.

I'm still way overdue for a laptop refresh, and have just been unable to
bite the bullet on a new Dell or Lenovo- (long list of hardware
drawbacks for me).

These laptops seem incredibly straightforward, and some features are a
bit wild, (radio/camera hardware kill switches), but otherwise they just
look like a *sane* modern laptop?!  All their stuff on the site about
being the 'good guys' feels weird, but whatever- I guess it's better
marketing message than most.

--
Big scary question marks for use as a *BSD laptop: Sleep/Resume?
graphics not sucking? etc...

Thoughts?

Best,
.ike