[talk] puri.sm laptops - Too good to be true?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Oct 6 12:44:03 EDT 2017

On 10/05/2017 11:42, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
> Word,
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017, at 02:25 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

>>> This fella, Eric McCorkle, seems to have been using one for FreeBSD last
>>> summer:
>>>
>>> https://ericmccorkleblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/16/freebsd-librem-update/
>>>
>>> Some year old comments on the trackpad etc...  nothing damning.  Boy I'd
>>> love one in my hands for a day to scope the reality of the hardware
>>> before I bought one…
>> There seems to be lots of controversy about the claims this company has
>> made.
>>
>> Are the points in this older article now moot or not?
>>
>> https://www.pcworld.com/article/2960524/laptop-computers/why-linux-enthusiasts-are-arguing-over-purisms-sleek-idealistic-librem-laptops.html
>> <https://www.pcworld.com/article/2960524/laptop-computers/why-linux-enthusiasts-are-arguing-over-purisms-sleek-idealistic-librem-laptops.html>
>> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Purism-Librem-Still-Blobbed
>> <https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Purism-Librem-Still-Blobbed>
>>
>> And having to go back to 2008 for true Stallman-approved FreeDom:
>>
>> https://www.pcworld.com/article/2879086/the-free-software-foundation-loves-this-laptop-but-you-wont.html
>> <https://www.pcworld.com/article/2879086/the-free-software-foundation-loves-this-laptop-but-you-wont.html>
> Fascinating.  For me, not sure I care about FSF stamp of approval, (the
> *BSD's don't have that, so...)
>
> The other bits about proprietary components, well, reality strikes.
> I think these older claims about 100% open hardware are indeed not quite
> possible right now.  Yet, compared to what I've been looking at lately,
> this gear seems *way* saner - and I'm just excited that their Linux
> distro is all about no-binary-blobs.  Very encouraging for solid *BSD
> support!
>
> Will I ever "100% trust" my hardware?  Never have.  Unless I make it all
> from scratch, (mine the ore for the copper), no.
>
>> There is a rant out there somewhere that I read recently that without
>> ditching proprietary BIOS/UEFI/blobs, this laptop is no more secure than
>> anything else on the market.
>>
>> Hey, have you considered a MBP? :)
> I'll assume you are kidding :P
> http://www.nycbug.org/index.cgi?action=view&id=10356
> Since that talk, I've happily switched from OpenBSD to FreeBSD for my
> primary personal rig- and *love it*.
>
> Why I don't want a MBP (was given a shiny new one at work):
> - I no longer want anything to do with Mac OS.
> - USBc, *nothing but USBc*.  That blows for so many reasons.
> - USBc - requires data exchange just to *charge the rig*
> - Bag full of adapters and peripherals.
>    - Apple USBc mixed up wth thunderbolt, and bang DMA!!!  What could go
>    wrong!
> - Simply not interested in running anything but OSX on this hardware.
>
> Other Lenovo/Dell-XPS models I've been angling for:
> - USBc charging
> [...]

i'm in the same boat as you .ike in regards to MBP and macOS in
general.  i got myself a System76 latptop a couple months ago and i'm
actually really happy with it.  the design of the laptop shell isn't
super sexy tbh - but it does have a matte LCD screen which i'm really
happy about since i work outside frequently.

i've been doing my hacking of the updated drm-next code on this guy as
well - so gfx have been pretty great if you don't mind running current
on freebsd.  my understanding is that openbsd also has support for the
i915 gfx as well, but i'm not %100 sure it's fully accelerated - but i
suspect stability would be much better! :)

http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3207

this is a bit out of date but should give you an idea as to the hw specs.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org