[talk] Fwd:

fire crow fire at firecrow.com
Sat Oct 21 13:40:36 EDT 2017

On Oct 21, 2017 1:19 AM, "Scott Robbins" <scottro11 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 04:21:18AM +0000, fire crow wrote:
> Hi thanks for the tips, 12.0 current from the svn head and drm-next-kmod
> from ports didnt load up when vt initialized on boot. Im currently
looking > at the vesa kmod, getting this error that im trying to work out.
> > $ kldload vesa > module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0x< f and
numbers>, 0) error 19 > sysctl_unregister_oid: failed to unregister sysctl
I have a page, by now probably outdated (and I've been really ill, so no
time or energy to follow up But it seems as as if the docs wound up in 5
different places and are inconsistent these days.  Eventually, using
http://srobb.net/freebsdintel.html got me having a so so Intel integrated
card experience.  Not as good as Linux.  For example, if I
got out of X after it started, I would have to ssh in a reboot to get
access again, that sort of thing.

Same issues with Intel wireless dual band cards, 50MBS speeds on LAN with
Linux, 2 MB on BSD.  (This is mentioned at some places in man pages)

Ive been able to get intel wireless working with the combination of if_iwm
and iwm3160fw modules. The dedicated graphics on the atom chip is giving me
the headaches

~fire

I have not had health to follow up on this for about a month though, so
maybe it's improved.  However from what I've seen, FreeBSD, and even
OpenBSD, are requiring more time, energy and research  to use as a nice
laptop.
Conversely, my desktops, (NVidas) are just about as good with FreeBSD.

But even 2-3 year old laptops give me problems.

Then again, I don't know how much we give up in blobs and the like to get
the Linux stuff to work easily. I haven't tried any Atheros cards, and
won't have  a chance to for awhile,but as far as wireless Intel, the dual
band stuff for iwm isn't working well.

If this sounds as trollish and awful as it may look to me, apologies.
Again, long period of illness right now and sometimes overly medicated.

But for a laptop in a NOC to get into a server, Free/OpenBSD will be fine

For a smooth scrollin', web browsin', fast graphic thing, might be better
off saving that for your workstation.  (With NVidia)

There are lots of threads on the Intel stuff on forums.
Some folks  got things to work.  One person feels  the problem is that
FreeBSD developers use Mac but OpenBSD people do it right. But, if you get
lucky you may find someone with similar hardware who solved your problem.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6