[talk] ARM - any Tier-1 *BSD options?

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Mon Aug 6 20:23:00 EDT 2018

Charles Sprickman:
> Hi all,
>
> So I’m starting to rely on a Pi or two here and there and I’m finding
> the upgrade options for FreeBSD to be a bit… labor intensive.  I was
> hoping for “freebsd-update” but that’s not an option apparently.
>
> So for all the ARM fans here, what are my options?
>
> - Is FreeBSD going to be making any ARM stuff "Tier 1" soon? -

No idea, but I'd be curious to hear. Maybe something came out of BSDCan?

 Do
> either NetBSD or OpenBSD consider the Pi “Tier 1”?

The Pi?  Unlikely.

Better bet is going with the BeagleBone Black.

- Do either NetBSD
> or OpenBSD have some binary upgrade equivalent to “freebsd-update”?

OpenBSD has syspatch for -stable, which works nicely. You know longer
need a local copy of the source to patch for -stable. And upgrading is
usually painless going between -release versions.

I tend to find that the media is the main issue, which is most cases is
microSD cards. I often build and rebuild on the same cards, and pay for
it. Although my recent experiences with built-in storage/eeprom have not
been pleasant.

HTH