[talk] FreeBSD drm-next now available on 11-STABLE

Scott Robbins scottro11 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 19:30:11 EST 2018

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 04:17:44PM -0800, Pete Wright wrote:
> hope this isn't considered spam - but thought this may be interesting to
> folks wanting to something other that CURRENT on their systems while getting
> accelerated graphics:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-February/088406.html
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DRM-Next-KMOD-On-FreeBSD-11
>
> tl;dr the same linux-kpi and drm-next work thats been happening on CURRENT
> to enable support for i915 and radeon GPU's has been ported to 11-STABLE.
> i've been dog-fooding this code on current since for ever and it's gotten
> quite stable.  i'd post a longer email - but i need to play minecraft on my
> freebsd desktop (which happens to use this same code) with my son :)

So, it's working for you?  Judging from forums, not yet working for
everyone. Going to wait a few days before I try it.  (In theory, my Yoga2
with Haswell should have been working, but doesn't, perhaps because it's
HiDPI.).

Thanks very much for the update.  And yes, it's working quite well for me
with CURRENT.

I note that the Makefile, which used to say it wouldn't work with 11.x now
only says it won't work with 10.x. I don't know if pkg is working, with
CURRENT, I usually needed the port and also needed to have /usr/src
populated.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6