[talk] Using separate users for different programs

Sujit K M sjt.kar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 06:55:12 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 1:47 AM, Thomas Levine <_ at thomaslevine.com> wrote:
> Not trusting myself to verify the correctness and authenticity of stuff
> that I download from the internet, I have been running some programs as
> separate users with doas.
>
> For example, I have an "r" user for running R, and I have configured
> things so that when I type "R" I execute R as the "r" user rather than
> my normal "tlevine" user. This way, I can install lots and lots of

Not sure whether this is of help. I have worked on Multiple Websites, Which run
at least the web part of it as different users. This I think is to
enable security.
Other part of it is that You will not be able to run the programs as
another user.
They will not be able to start up.

Note: I mean the programs are always to be started by a given user.
The logged in
user generally doesnot have permissions.