[talk] a Port Maintainer day conference in NYC

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Jan 4 12:46:00 EST 2018

I'm forking this from my previous email, to open up the discussion and
generate some concrete ideas.

I'll repeat the basis:

after Brian C's OpenBSD porting meeting last night, it became clear that
there's a decent critical mass of port maintainers in the NYC area from
the BSD projects.

This specifically means people who port third-party applications to one
BSD or another for inclusion in the respective ports and packages. It
might include people who build and maintain large Mozilla ports, or
simple shell-based utilities. There might even be those involved in the
actual port-building infrastructure, ie, the Make environment that the
ports systems dwell in.

Assembling a bunch of them wouldn't be trivial, as we'd need space,
etc., but we could probably do this without a lot of extras past
NYCBSDCons require. Think no heavy sponsors, no catered food (except
maybe pizzas), no hotels.

There's some important issues to establish first:

* is the event aimed at current maintainers talking to other maintainers?

* if above is true, what topics would actually have them speaking the
same tongue to make the event worthwhile?

* would prospective maintainers be included on some level?

* if above is true, would porting workshops (like last night) be part of
the agenda?

Anyways, I hope this opens up some discussion on the topic, since this
will be the basis to determine whether this sort of event is feasible in
NYC.

5822 F82D 665B 5C6A 915B FAD4 B014 1CEE 545A A6C6