[talk] So Netgate bails on FreeBSD

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed May 23 17:41:41 EDT 2018

On 05/23/2018 14:08, Jim Thompson wrote:

>> i'm confused as to if/why centos-7 is only supported platform. centos
>> is not something i'd ever want to run as a router or firewall - even
>> if i had to run linux a rhel variant would be beyond my last choice.
>
> Because the enterprise market knows and accepts RHEL/Centos. Ports to
> Unbuntu are underway, and yes, we’ve investigated running all this on
> top of FreeBSD, but time to market is a thing, as this is all 100%
> self-funded.  The long pole in the tent is porting VPP to FreeBSD.
>  Want to help?  Pick up a keyboard, pull requests accepted:
> https://github.com/gonzopancho/vpp-fdio

that's a shame.  business is business - i get it.

but i stand by my commitment to never again run rhel on my
infrastructure (after starting to use it in the late 90's and using it
in some very large scale, low latency environments).  it's unfortunate
how the linux ecosystem shook out the past 10 years or so, but it is
what it is.

-p

--
Pete Wright