[talk] Fwd: [FreeBSD-Announce] 2019 FreeBSD Community Survey

Raul Cuza raulcuza at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 13:20:05 EDT 2019

Thank you for highlighting this survey. Day dreaming about having a
choice other than Linux at work made me happy.

> > 7. The FreeBSD Project produces software. I view FreeBSD's software as…
> > - a building block for commercial appliances (customizable kernel plus packages)
> > - a competitive advantage in my workplace
> > - a complete and self-contained operating system
> > - a consumable piece of released or shrink-wrapped software (a release)
> > - a suite of userland packages (e.g. ports)
> > - a toolkit that builds an end-to-end, customized distribution (e.g. make world + poudriere)
> > - an embeddable kernel (e.g. PS4)
> > - an opinionated "operating system as a service" that I consume
>
> OK- I’ve heard this “operating system as a service” vocabulary before.  What the heck does it mean?  I’m honestly clueless here.

For me OS as a service basically means you don't think about the OS
and don't have to tweak ANY configs on it. You get your app or write
your app and it just runs. Docker claims to be this. Serverless is
trying to create this.

> > - the upstream for my distribution of choice (e.g. FreeNAS, pfSense, GhostBSD, HardenedBSD, OPNSense, etc)
>

> > 8. Rate the following statements:
> > - The FreeBSD project does a good job of addressing security concerns
> > - Effective security should be provided "out of the box," even at the expense of functionality or performance
> > - In order to address my security needs I perform research and configure my systems as needed for the individual application
> > - I believe FreeBSD sets appropriate defaults with respect to various security mitigations and options
> > - I know how to enable additional mitigations that are not enabled by default
> > - Performance is a security consideration for server workloads
> > - I believe FreeBSD sets appropriate defaults with respect to performance
> > - For most workloads, I believe FreeBSD should set reasonable defaults that don't require post-installation adjustment
>
> Critique of these multiple-choice questions: I believe they are a bit binary/dydactic, particularly the “out of the box config” bits.
>
> I do wonder what specific topics this question is getting at?
>
> In practice, I believe some security concerns should *absolutely* be handled out of the box, and are the OS responsibility.  Others, are my responsibility- it’s nuanced.  For example: various hardware/kernel security considerations, I totally expect to be secure, right out of the box.  TCP/net sysctls, I expect to be “generically performant” out of the box.  (These have been great for a decade or more.)
> Yet, enabling sendmail or ntpd, (and vulnerabilities they may expose my box to), those are my choice to *use*, and my responsibility to keep up to date in a given context- and I don’t need FreeBSD setting reasonable defaults here.  Etc… etc… we could go on forever pointing at what should be secure “out of the box”.
>
> Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but I think the question completely misses a MUCH bigger topic: Security and performance tuning is both better than it’s ever been, but less documented than it’s ever been- in both server/workstation contexts.
> It’s disheartening how many times I’ve come to learn about a sysctl that’s important to my applied use by stumbling through a wiki/forum/blog post from some random person, and come to find it’s not documented at all in man pages, nor in handbook, maybe the freebsd wiki has 4 year old notes about it, and not even the source code which implements some sysctl is commented.
>
> Understanding the composition of a system is critical to both security and performance, and is critical weather or not the system is secure/performant “out of the box”.

I think the "out of the box" statement is basically the Mac OS X
model. Someone writes an exploit app that is effective on OS X? Well
Apple updates adds its signature to its OS and now that exploit can't
run. People don't even know these signatures are getting updated.
Apple then patches the OS to actually fix the problem and the exploit
no longer works for real. Basically, you use the OS and not thing
about security because a team more responsible than you is on it.

"out of the box" also means you don't want to think about sysctl
because everything just works.

> > 14. I would contribute to FreeBSD more if the FreeBSD Project:
> >
> > - Transitioned to using git
> > - Adopted a GitHub pull request style workflow
> > - Had pre-commit test automation integrated into pull requests
> > - Provided hosted infrastructure to facilitate development (e.g. cloud-hosted development and test instances)
> > - Transitioned from DocBook to a modern markup format and workflow (e.g. asciidoc and/or markdown)
>
> Well, this question is a big deal.
> I suggest NYC*BUG folks take the survey just to weigh in on these obvious bits:
>
> --
> move from svn to git?
>
> I say hallelujah,
>   - but what about licence?
>   - amazing to get the project into mainstream source control tooling
>   - I am a fan of the git(1) tooling, to me, it’s a best of breed UNIX tool
>
> I know people here have strong opinions...
>

> --
> DocBook to modern markup format?
>
> Missing question:
> - If man pages were more important as part of code acceptance and code review.
>   (FreeBSD man pages have been slipping/struggling in this latest era)
>
> Focusing on DocBook is a tooling question, documentation is about *writing* and coordinating people.
> The entire coordination of the FreeBSD handbook needs attention, love, and simply someone driving.

I did some documentation work at BSDCAN and it was a pain to get it
set up. But maybe the entry should not be so easy because it's better
to have a handbook that feels like it was written by one good author.