[talk] Fwd: [FreeBSD-Announce] 2019 FreeBSD Community Survey

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 01:14:51 EDT 2019

> With that, I think a number of questions from the questionnaire deserve discussion:
>
> > 7. The FreeBSD Project produces software. I view FreeBSD's software as…
> > - a building block for commercial appliances (customizable kernel plus packages)
> > - a competitive advantage in my workplace
> > - a complete and self-contained operating system
> > - a consumable piece of released or shrink-wrapped software (a release)
> > - a suite of userland packages (e.g. ports)
> > - a toolkit that builds an end-to-end, customized distribution (e.g. make world + poudriere)
> > - an embeddable kernel (e.g. PS4)
> > - an opinionated "operating system as a service" that I consume
>
> OK- I’ve heard this “operating system as a service” vocabulary before.  What the heck does it mean?  I’m honestly clueless here.

I have never heard or seen ads for FreeBSD for Amazon/Google Cloud.
How do they recruit their developers.

> Namespace/cgroup support
> > Immutable Server Images
> > Docker Support
> > Kubernetes Support
> > Virtualization Support
> >

> Would have loved a more organized/separate question set about contemporary virtualization stuff, e.g.:
> - running docker containers (where namespace/cgroup is important)
> - kubernetes (choking back vomit, but yeah important to address for work)
> - immutable server images (this sort of facility exists in FreeBSD, what here are we talking about?  A docker implement?)
> - Differentiation of Hypervisor virtualization, (bhyve, et al), vs process try (jail, docker, k8s, et al)

Docker??Kubernetes?? It is Linux/Mac/Windows Based, like it is
dependent on kernel for these OS's.
Even Solaris doesn't support Docker/Kubernetes as such. My question is
what are the current alternatives for
these if Google/Amazon support Cloud for FreeBSD.

I also saw questions on Cassandra why limited to this?