[talk] Max Number of CARP Addresses

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 21:32:31 EDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 2:44 PM Mark Saad <nonesuch at longcount.org> wrote:

> Hello All
>    Doe anyone know what the Max number of CARP addresses you can have
> in a single pair of servers ?
>
> Also from what I can tell this seutp seams like it could work. Can
> anyone comment .
>
> Server a and server b have an address in subnet X . They have one carp
> address in that subnet.
> Then server a has a bunch of ip aliases in subnet X that are not
> carp'ed but as part of the failover a script is run to move the
> aliases from server a to b .
>

> --
> mark saad | nonesuch at longcount.org

I don't know much of carp anymore, but I guess the question is all about
how you plan to have the ARP advertisements. I think there's the need to
"gratuitously" advertise at the event of failover all of the addresses that
are shared. I think it's possible to script up such advertisements in a
user script, but I guess you'd rather have carp handle this since that is
what it's whole reason for being is?

I apologize for outright guessing on a public forum but it's interesting to
me and I'd like to move the discussion along.

-jesse