[talk] NetBSD beginner's question: Why is it so difficult to install packages?

James E Keenan jkeenan at pobox.com
Fri Aug 23 20:42:17 EDT 2019

On 8/23/19 7:47 PM, Sevan Janiyan wrote:

> On 23/08/2019 23:50, James E Keenan wrote:
>> What am I missing?
>
> 1) Install 8.1 not 8.0. Even better, daily 8_STABLE are available at
> http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-8/latest/

Did you understand what I wrote?  On this host, our policy is to install
VMs using virtualbox and vagrant.  We're not installing an OS on bare metal.

> 2) You can omit the -version suffix of a package name, e.g use pkg_add perl

Tried that, repeatedly.  Didn't work, repeatedly.

#####
$ sudo pkg_add perl
pkg_add: no pkg found for 'perl', sorry.
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
#####

> 3) When you have finished the install, choose "Enable installation of
> binary packages" in the configuration menu
> https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/install-images/inst-conf-menu.png
> That will install pkgin, then use pkgin to install your desired
> packages. See the bottom of http://pkgin.net for usage examples.

Okay, that's much more what I'm looking for.

#####
$ sudo pkgin install perl
reading local summary...
processing local summary...
processing remote summary
(http://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/8.0/All)...
pkg_summary.bz2
          100% 2837KB 709.2KB/s   00:04
calculating dependencies...done.
nothing to do.
#####

I'll see whether that works for as yet uninstalled packages.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan