[talk] other hardware suggestions

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Sat Dec 7 11:21:52 EST 2019

>>> Not to distract from Patrick's thread, but I am looking at two needs
>>> right now:
>>>
>>> * some sort of well-supported amd64 hardware comparable in price and
>>> specs to the PCEngine APU2. More than one NIC is good, but I'm wary of
>>> relying on mSATA SSD's as Sony deprecated their line IIRC. m.2 seems to
>>> be the next gen of storage for that world.
>>>
>>> * similar hardware with four or more USB ports, for the role of a serial
>>> console server. I assume there are still people out there not looking to
>>> go rely on custom hardware for that role, and really assuming there are
>>> some of us not living solely in the smog.
>>>
>>> I am interested in others' experiences with the ethernet to serial
>>> dongles for remote serial...
>>>
>>> Not a fan of going the Intel NUC route, as closed hardware, locked down
>>> BIOS' and endless binaries still doesn't excite me.
>>>
>>> Also the ARM SoC game is played for me, so long as it's relying on
>>> microSD cards, and the BSD ARM64 platforms still lag behind amd64
>>> support AFAIK.

>> It is still early days yet, but the Rock64 pro might fit the bill in days to come. Especially since the pro laptop has hit the market. I know some folks were buzzing about the possibilities at the last BSDCan.
>>

> Yes, but again it's relying on microSD and eMMC which I also had bad
> experiences with.  m.2 SSD or other SSD already proved a lot more
> reliable to me.

George that’s reliability is really a function of the media . I have a apu2 running on a class 10 sd card for the last two years with no issues . I do mount it read only . Prior to that I had an inexpensive 16g m2 sata disk which had trouble and died after about 18months .
This is running FreeBSD . I wonder how it would be with openbsd ; I suspect the os drivers do play a big part in how well this stuff works and sata is definitely better supported.

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch at longcount.org