[talk] other hardware suggestions

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Dec 7 11:54:40 EST 2019

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019, 9:19 AM George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com>
wrote:

> On 12/7/19 12:07 AM, Pat McEvoy wrote:
> >

> >> On Dec 6, 2019, at 18:55, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not to distract from Patrick's thread, but I am looking at two needs
> >> right now:
> >>
> >> * some sort of well-supported amd64 hardware comparable in price and
> >> specs to the PCEngine APU2. More than one NIC is good, but I'm wary of
> >> relying on mSATA SSD's as Sony deprecated their line IIRC. m.2 seems to
> >> be the next gen of storage for that world.
> >>
> >> * similar hardware with four or more USB ports, for the role of a serial
> >> console server. I assume there are still people out there not looking to
> >> go rely on custom hardware for that role, and really assuming there are
> >> some of us not living solely in the smog.
> >>
> >> I am interested in others' experiences with the ethernet to serial
> >> dongles for remote serial...
> >>
> >> Not a fan of going the Intel NUC route, as closed hardware, locked down
> >> BIOS' and endless binaries still doesn't excite me.
> >>
> >> Also the ARM SoC game is played for me, so long as it's relying on
> >> microSD cards, and the BSD ARM64 platforms still lag behind amd64
> >> support AFAIK.

> > It is still early days yet, but the Rock64 pro might fit the bill in
> days to come. Especially since the pro laptop has hit the market. I know
> some folks were buzzing about the possibilities at the last BSDCan.
> >

> Yes, but again it's relying on microSD and eMMC which I also had bad
> experiences with.  m.2 SSD or other SSD already proved a lot more
> reliable to me.

The RockPro64 motherboard has a pcie slot that I have a nvme card in. The
support for this is headed into FreeBSD soon. I have to boot off sd card,
but the rest isn't bad after that. Like another post said, it is early
days, so time will tell. It is shaping up to be a not terrible build
machine with the limited milage I've put on it since I started testing the
patches.

Warner