[talk] ZFS FreeBSD future confusion?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Jun 12 14:01:42 EDT 2019

On 6/12/19 10:50 AM, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Folks who know me, know me as a ZFS user/lover since Pawel first brought it in to FreeBSD.
>
> In a previous message to talk@, I raised that there confusion about changes in ZFS "upstream".
>
> Warner Losh noted this is "maybe not well publicized".  After digging around online, it sure is not well publicized- and I want to know details.  Even digging through lists, (these days- *which lists* of many?)
>
> ZFS:
>
> - What excactly are these changes?
> - Why and how was this decided?
> - When is ZFS upstream supposed to be changing?
> - What are the technical pros/cons of this change?
> - What are the license implications (Linux !!!!), and what will they be in the future (GPL3)?
>
> - Am I simply having a dream, nightmare perhaps?
>
> --
> I'm terribly dismayed but not panicing, FreeBSD 12.x-REL is stable and fabulous, I guess if my filesystem is going to be pulled out from under me 12.x FreeBSD could become the new 4.11-REL (which I and many others ran in some contexts for a decade past EOL for *reasons*).
>
> Anybody have any concrete info on these ZFS changes?

apparently this talk at bsdcan this year was very helpful:

https://www.bsdcan.org/2019/schedule/events/1060.en.html

from what i've heard from Alan (via teh twitters) is that the ZFSonLinux
people are keen and dedicated to getting all the code under one roof via
OpenZFS, and are also keen to work with the freebsd and other unix
communities.  he's also been encouraging everyone to join the monthly(?)
OpenZFS calls.

i too have concerns with the whole linux aspect of this, but Alan is
pretty vocal from what i can gather that they people working on OpenZFS
on the linux side are collaborative.  Time will tell though, and I think
the best way to make sure that ZFS doesn't end up depending on systemd
or other linux'isms is to participate on the calls and try to be
constructive if you can.

-pete

--
Pete Wright