[talk] Vulnerability Classification and New Concepts

Thomas Wunderlich twunde at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 11:52:53 EDT 2019

Sujit,

A CVE number just indicates that the vulnerability was registered as a
vulnerability to the Standard for Information Security Vulnerability Names
maintained by MITRE. It's basically an id that points to a description of
the vulnerability. These vulnerabilities aren't generic XSS, etc but are
specific to systems so for example XSS in Jenkins or an XSS in mandoc.
Descriptions or risks can be edited after the vulnerability is filed. The
main point is that there's a common id across security systems so that if
you get an advisory from red hat and an advisory from Canonical you can see
that they're talking about the same vulnerability even if their fixes are
different.

As an example, the CVE page for meltdown is
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-5753. The National
Vulnerability Database tends to have a bit more information for each CVE:
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-5753

Best,
Thomas Wunderlich