[talk] NAS hardware

Ipsen S Ripsbusker ipsens at ripsbusker.no.eu.org
Mon Mar 18 23:42:15 EDT 2019

Jim Thompson writes:
> There are nano-itx boards with dual M.2 ‘M’ key (PCIe x4, SATA).
> Drives in a 2280 form-factor are available to 1TB.

Is there a particular Synology or Nano-ITX board on which I could easily
run a BSD operating system (or at least any free operating system)?

Since I have such little data, I guess anything will really do, but
I have gotten fed up with dealing with hardware that manufacturers
won't support, so I would rather get something advertised to work with
free software.

For $170 I can get this, which fits two 3.5" disks and is supposed
to work on NetBSD.
https://www.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-4gb-single-board-computer
https://www.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-metal-desktopnas-casing
https://www.pine64.org/?product=fan-for-rockpro64-metal-desktopnas-casing
https://www.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-12v-5a-us-power-supply
https://www.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-pci-e-to-dual-sata-ii-interface-card
https://www.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-20mm-mid-profile-heatsink
https://www.pine64.org/?product=fan-for-rockpro64-20mm-mid-profile-heatsink

And then the next price level up seems to be like $1,000, which would
get me a FreeNAS or a GNU/Linux desktop (without the hard drives).