[talk] ZFS v UFS on APU2 msata SSD with FreeBSD

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Fri May 17 10:23:20 EDT 2019

Word,

On Fri, May 17, 2019, at 10:11 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I've generally run OpenBSD on my swarm of APU2s, but I'm going to run
> FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE on one.
>
> I've tended to shy away from ZFS since I'm not in large data mode, and
> with a single disk in this case, there's really no huge benefit.

But there is, depending... :)

Just to be pedantic, top of head reasons why ZFS is not just great for "big disks", but is advantageous on this sort of board/media:

- No fsck, (design is better than journaling even).
- Block level checksumming (find what would otherwise be silent corruption)
  - Even if not multi-disk zpool, (which can auto-replicate bad blocks), one can preempt major problems by knowing their data is good.
- Snapshots and User Features (way better than hard partitioning in practice, because all can be changed in live system runtime):
  - New logical partitions any time you want them
  - Quotas
  - Backup/Restore via snapshots/incrementals (awesome for embedded app deploys)

Etc...  etc...

> But I decided to go with ZFS on this msata EVO Sony with geli encryption.

This should be excellent, I'd be curious to hear your experience here- (since I know you to have years of embedded BSD practical experience, but new to using ZFS on it...)

> Does it make sense?  Does anyone else have experiences with ZFS v UFS on APU2s?

It's a real delightful combo, IMHO, and great timing- because ZFS memory/implementation is really reliable, (used to *require* so much more RAM and tweaking), nowadays it just works- properly boring.

Again, would love to hear your good/bad/ugly as you go.

Best,
.ike