[talk] When is hardware too old?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Oct 10 02:06:56 EDT 2019

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 9:25 PM, Richard Thornton <thornton.richard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Seems like you got good machine! Is it noisy?

It’s in the garage, so not a huge deal, but it’s actually really quiet once the OS is loaded. It is a 2U box, so it doesn’t have those really tiny/high-pitched whiney fans that 1U boxes have. I think if I move it to the other side of the room from my little workshop (which is where the server and firewall live) it will be largely inaudible.

Dealing with a chicken and egg situation on a drive firmware update - need windows to run the update, but the updater won’t run if anything in the RAID array is marked “degraded”. Oh Dell...