[talk] new 14" Pinebook

Raul Cuza raulcuza at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 09:28:12 EDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 8:51 AM George Rosamond
<george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> Raul Cuza:
> > On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 9:58 PM George Rosamond
> > <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Coming next month:
> >>
> >> https://store.pine64.org/?product=14%e2%80%b3-pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-64gb-emmc-iso-keyboard-estimated-dispatch-in-october-2019
> >>
> >> I never got around to getting the previous line, but I think some people
> >> on this list did.
> >>
> >> Any insight?
> >>
> >> Even if it's not a perfect solution, it definitely seems worth it having
> >> aarch64, especially at that price.

> > """
> > When fulfilling the purchase, please bear in mind that we are offering
> > the Pinebook Pro at this price as a community service to PINE64, Linux
> > and BSD communities. We make no profit from selling these units. If
> > you think that a minor dissatisfaction, such as a dead pixel, will
> > prompt you to file a PayPal dispute then please do not purchase the
> > Pinebook Pro. Thank you.
> > """
> > Ha!
>
> Well, I respectfully disagree with you on that Raul.
>
> You have to realize most people will see "laptop" and assume it's going
> to have the support particulars of a Lenovo or Dell.
>
> A similiar notion accompanied Beaglebone, RPIs, etc, and it was just
> excepted, even if it wasn't stated explicitly.
>
> The difference is that this is in laptop form, as opposed to a raw board.
>
> I'd approach the laptop as I would any of those other SoC systems. I
> wasn't going to complain about various SD-related pickiness, etc with
> the other SoCs.
>
> I think it's remarkable that a company would produce such a laptop,
> essentially with a dev board inside, at such a reasonable price, aimed
> at our community.
>
> I haven't ordered one at this point, but to have an aarch64 device
> without worrying about serial or HDMI, etc, in a functional device, is
> an accomplishment in itself.

I disagree that you disagree with me. I complete agree with your
sentiments and if my three character commentary did not convey my
appreciation for Pinebook "putting themselves out there" then that is
entirely my fault. Putting that statement clearly in their sales
material is smart and hopefully will attract the kind of people who
make their offerings even better through FOSS development.

I've seen many companies over the years offer development hardware in
this price range. Most do not last long for the reasons stated in the
quote from Pinebook. It only takes one or two people who don't "get
it" to burn the good will of the people offering this kind of hardware
in a non-profit manner. Or they are not getting back what they need to
keep doing it.

In other words, I should of said "Thank you." and "May the wind be at
their backs." and "I really wish I had not recently bought a $194 used
Dell for my child to use for homework, because I should of got him a
Pinebook." Maybe it isn't too late.

Raúl