[talk] Encrypted Chat Applications (aka not Signal)

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 14:44:48 EDT 2020

On 4/3/20 11:49 PM, Ibsen S Ripsbusker wrote:

> Is Jami (https://jami.net/) safe? I like that it can work with SIP accounts.

     Is there something wrong with Signal I don't know about? Last I
heard it was the gold standard for e2e encrypted messaging. The signal
protocol is the main influence for OMEMO in XMPP (which is finally
getting some wide-spread adoption: https://omemo.top/).

     I have no personal experience with e2e chat with SIP. In general, I
would say that SIP always lags a bit in the messaging space, and you'll
almost certainly be better off going with XMPP over it. Most desktop SIP
clients even include XMPP support just for things like messaging and
presence, which is pretty telling.

     Of course, outside of the open standards world, you have a wealth
of balkanized options.

-bjc