[talk] Encrypted Chat Applications (aka not Signal)

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Apr 4 15:14:59 EDT 2020

On 04/03/2020 09:03 PM, George Rosamond wrote:

> On 4/3/20 11:49 PM, Ibsen S Ripsbusker wrote:
>> Is Jami (https://jami.net/) safe? I like that it can work with SIP accounts.
>>

> I dont know Jami, but looks interesting.
>
> If you're looking at purely chat function, not sure where to go anymore.
>
> There's few meant to be run over Tor, like Ricocet and Torchat
>
> I know people who use Ricochat with a little trust (only a little) but
> the last release is three years old.
>
> Torchat is hasn't been touched in a lot longer.
>
> The 'old' way was xmpp accounts with Pidgin or whatever.
>
> I really would like to hear more input for others... to me it seems
> comparable to trying to have someone do video for an open source conference.

There's Session. It's basically a Signal fork, which uses swarms of Loki
service nodes for message caching. Currently it relays messages through
Loki service nodes. And soon it will implement full onion routing.

It hinders Sybil attacks through proof-of-stake, using a private
Etherium fork (also called Loki). The Loki supply is fixed, so adding
new nodes too quickly drives up costs dramatically. Last I checked,
running a service node cost $5000. And the stake is fully at risk, if
their systems detect malicious node behavior. Successful service nodes
earn Loki by providing connectivity and services.