[talk] Encrypted Chat Applications (aka not Signal)

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 22:45:21 EST 2020

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:33 PM Miles Nordin <carton at ivy.net> wrote:

>     il> end to end encryption communications software they like,
>
> matrix.org / riot.im
>
>  - fully open-source client and server.  If they pack up their tent
>    and go, you can run your own netowrk without them, just like email
>    and XMPP.
>
>  - non-cartel federation.  Unlike irc or SMS, joining the mesh of
>    servers doesn't require a higher level of trust than connecting a
>    client, so there's no approval barrier to doing this.  You just
>    register in DNS and go, just like email and XMPP.
>
>  - modern features: encrypted rooms, scrollback from before you joined
>    kept perfectly in sync, multiple devices per user presented to
>    others as a single virtual identity and kept in sync (your messages
>    and theirs).
>
>  - the "identity server" is factored out.  There's a parallel system
>    running under vector.im which attests that people own phone numbers
>    or email addresses, which you call "centralized," but when it's
>    factored out like that there are other ways to think about it.  In
>    any case, I haven't explored it.  I'm chatting with people on
>    Matrix and completely ignoring this.  We have the best-case here
>    because anyone calling for such features is diverted to the
>    existing system and prevented from compromising the core.
>
>  - modern languages (for better or worse)
>
>  - modern client platform.  It's just a web page that you go to.  The
>    app on the page keeps working normally when Internet goes away,
>    unless you press [Reload].
>
> One thing to watch out for while exploring their ecosystem is that
> encryption is "optional"---it has to be turned on in each room or each
> 1:1 conversation.  This is a reasonable feature because it allows them
> to make bridges to irc, and it allowed them to develop incrementally
> without which they couldn't sustain this much complexity (the
> encryption is "v2" now and has been ripped out and rewritten once
> already).  However they're not always honest in promoting it.  They
> say they have support for 99 clients on qt and elisp and weechat Lua
> plugins and Python libraries all this great stuff, but those clients
> either don't support encryption or support now-useless v1 encryption.
> If you want a list of clients that has feature parity with riot.im, I
> do not have it.  There might be a few, or it might be none at all.
>
> Another thing is more optimistic.  Currently the manual key
> verification you are asking for exists, but it's device-to-device, not
> user-to-user.  The behaviour of normal users is such that this just
> doesn't work at all.  They are absolute spazzes, clearing cookies and
> getting and discarding phones tablets and other gadgets constantly.
> It doesn't even need to be that frequent to undermine usability.  In a
> group text of five people if everyone does it twice a year that's
> enough that most people including me will give up on being in the
> verified state.  There's a project supposedly nearing completion to
> [...]

Sometimes the problem isn't the app. Like in the Stone case everyone is
asking, "how did they got the "super encrypted whats app messages?". They
did not get them from facebook to turn them over. The problem is that some
people do things like backup phone to icloud, or backup this to their
watch, and sync that with their toaster. it's hard to find a vessel to read
your super encrypted 8 time pgp'ed message and ensure the person on the
other side is not backing up things to their toaster.