[talk] rsyslog on freebsd missing kernel events

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Sat Feb 15 14:05:09 EST 2020

All
 I am running into an issue that anecdotally is noted on the Internet
as stay away.
Running rsyslog on freebsd in place of the base syslog. The issue that
I have ,as well as a number of other people out there is my kernel
logs go missing when forwarded to a remote host.

I have a fairly basic config

module(load="immark")   # provides --MARK-- message capability
module(load="imuxsock" SysSock.UseSpecialParser="off") # provides
support for local system logging
module(load="imklog")   # kernel logging
module(load="imudp") # needs to be done just once

*.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit                /dev/console
*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err
/var/log/messages
security.*                                      /var/log/security
auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
cron.*                                          /var/log/cron

*.*          @iforgot.superlogger.net:1234567

what happens is when a kernel event happens I see it in /dev/console
and /var/log/messages but not at the remote host.

Does anyone out there know what the heck this is ?

mark saad | nonesuch at longcount.org