[talk] Vixie meeting

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Feb 26 15:45:14 EST 2020

On 2/26/20 3:30 PM, Raul Cuza wrote:

>> If I were writing some dystopian sci-fi novel, Cloudflare would be an NSA-run
>> front for data collection and general spying. “Hey, HTTPS is hard! Just send
>> all your encrypted web traffic to our endpoints!”, “Hey, those dastardly ISPs
>> are snooping your DNS, why not point all your DNS lookups to us! (please
>> ignore ways your ISP can figure out where you’re going via looking at your
>> destination IPs)”.
>>
>> Please, nobody show me stats on what percentage of web traffic that’s not
>> the top 100 sites goes through Cloudflare…

> but all the destination IPs belong to Cloudflare.

Spork:

The entire sci-fi genre is based on predictions about the future, not
observations about today!

It's actually interesting to think that years ago, Tor Browser's obvious
weakness was dns lookups, which were unencrypted plain text.  That was a
long time ago.  Then they created a resolver that I wanted to work with
mickey@ (RIP.. it was his bday the other day..) to make portable.

And now DNS lookups are a hot commodity.

Another path is that more providers start running DOT DNS... a long
path, but definitely necessary.