[talk] A FreeBSD phone lives

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Jul 16 23:01:56 EDT 2020

> On Jul 16, 2020, at 10:29 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
> On 7/16/20 5:06 PM, George Neville-Neil wrote:
>> Note that it "works" because it's the same as something we already run
>> on, but it doesn't actually work as a FreeBSD phone.  A few of us have
>> reached out to the tweeter to encourage and see where they're going with
>> this.
>
> Right, I think it's relatively simple to run a BSD that has an arm64
> port on the PinePhone.
>
> https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
>
> But yes, as GNN said, modem support is another story, and those are
> mostly proprietary binaries AFAIK.
>
> OTOH, what's wrong with a device with a phone footprint that can run a
> BSD in your pocket, just using wireless, assuming that chipset is
> supported?  A good option for $150, especially compared to the GPD or
> something.

This looks interesting too - a perhaps-BSD-friendly tablet for a bit over $100:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wQMLqGOVkn0J:https://store.pine64.org/product/pinetab-10-1-linux-tablet-with-detached-backlit-keyboard/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari <https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wQMLqGOVkn0J:https://store.pine64.org/product/pinetab-10-1-linux-tablet-with-detached-backlit-keyboard/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari> (their site is down currently)

https://store.pine64.org/product/pinetab-10-1-linux-tablet-with-detached-backlit-keyboard/ <https://store.pine64.org/product/pinetab-10-1-linux-tablet-with-detached-backlit-keyboard/>

Charles