[talk] dual band usb wifi

Callahan, Brian Robert callab5 at rpi.edu
Fri Jul 31 17:44:26 EDT 2020

Hi talk --

The question of USB wifi comes up from time to time. Usually people recommend urtwn(4) devices because they are small and cheap and readily available. But they are 2.4 GHz only.

If you're looking for a dual band USB wifi device, google BCM43236. I picked one up from aliexpress. Works ootb on OpenBSD with bwfm(4). It's definitely not small (mine even has a 7" sma antenna!) but it is nice to know that I have a usb wifi adapter that can use the 5 GHz band.

~Brian