[talk] "death of IT"

James E Keenan jkeenan at pobox.com
Sun Mar 29 15:05:32 EDT 2020

On 3/29/20 2:59 PM, jpb wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:15:00 -0400
> James E Keenan <jkeenan at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/29/20 10:16 AM, Brian Callahan wrote:
>>>
>> [snip]

>>> Wish my Infosec students were on this list--we covered ISO 27002 on
>>> Thursday! Great stuff Jim.
>>> I often end up teaching a lot of these skills indirectly in my
>>> programming courses because they are so crucial.
>>>

>> One of the limitations of being almost completely self-taught as a
>> programmer is that I never learned any of the stuff on that list.
>>
>> jimk
>>

> Perhaps, but if you've worked in the corporate world for any length of
> time, you see them all the time.  Pretty much everything on that list is
> a job for somebody, but hopefully not all the same person!
>
> Cheers,
> Jim B.

Well, I *did* work in the corporate (ad tech) world for 10 years ... but
always at places that were large enough when I started that sysadmin and
software dev roles were strictly separate.  I suspect that if I had
worked at a start-up of 10 people where everyone was wearing multiple
hats, I would have absorbed all that sysadmin stuff by admosis.  As it
happened, most of what little I learned came from sitting next to Brian
Coca.

jimk