[talk] Inspection of an unfortunate network

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Jan 15 13:40:50 EST 2021

On 1/15/21 10:18 AM, Ibsen S Ripsbusker wrote:
> Great and good friends,
>
> Connections are sometimes slow on my home network.  It seems to me that
> TCP connections have high latency and UDP connections are fine, but only
> because all of the TCP services I use are slow and all the UDP services
> are fine. How can I check this properly? Moreover, how could
> I look into the cause for stuff being slow?

is it DNS?  because it's always DNS ;^)

just-kidding, but that's where i usually start.  then i start testing
hops on my local network, then to router then to a known public server,
etc.  i usually start by just trying to scp 100mb files around, but you
can also use iperf and other tools if you really want to dig into it.

-p

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org