[talk] IRC status

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue May 25 23:13:15 EDT 2021

FYI, freenode #nycbug is officially dead.  This is from earlier:

02:57 --> freenodecom (~com at freenode/staff) has joined #nycbug
02:57 -- Mode #nycbug [+o freenodecom] by freenodecom
02:57 -- freenodecom has changed topic for #nycbug from "Get on
irc.libera.chat #nycbug now" to "This channel has moved to ##nycbug. The
topic is in violation of freenode policy: https://freenode.net/policies"
02:57 @freenodecom This channel has been reopened with respect to the
communities and new users. The topic is in violation of freenode policy:
https://freenode.net/policies
02:57 -- Mode #nycbug [-ov gman999 gman999] by freenodecom

IOW, their staff bot joined, gave themself ops, took offense to our
topic of "we're migrating to libera and declared that it violated
freenode policies, reopened as ##nycbug and took away from ops AND voice
bits.. and any other users. And now you need an invite to join #nycbug.

We're all on irc.libera.chat #nycbug.  Same thing happened with #metabug
and #openbsd on freenode.