[talk] IRC status

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Wed May 26 11:43:04 EDT 2021

* George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> [2021-05-25 23:13:15-0400]:
> their staff bot joined, gave themself ops, took offense to our topic
> of "we're migrating to libera and declared that it violated freenode
> policies, reopened as ##nycbug and took away from ops AND voice bits..

Pretty much everyone in #nycbug had already moved over, but I was
planning on staying on Freenode for a while for some other channels that
had not.

But the vulgar and extremely unethical actions of the current Freenode
administrators as described above forced my hand, so I have abandoned
all the Freenode channels I was on as of today, and I encourage you all
to do the same.

Full story here:

    The Freenode resignation FAQ
    https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409

Recent comments from various people about the channel hijackings here:

    Freenode Ops Take Control of 700 Channels
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27286628

Thomas