[Announce-nycbug] NY Linux User Group

G. Rosamond george at sddi.net
Mon Mar 15 21:37:00 EST 2004

March 17th, 2004
Wednesday
6:30PM-8:00PM
IBM Headquarters Building
590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street
12th Floor, home to the IBM Linux Center of Competency

** RSVP Instructions **
    Unless you have already rsvp'ed for a prior meeting, everyone
    should RSVP to attend. http://rsvp.nylug.org
    Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge and room number.

                        George Georgalis (NYLUG.org)
                                    -on-
                   Managing Unix Services with Daemontools

   ``Daemontools, so simple, it's like it wasn't there,'' says our own
   George Georgalis, this month's presenter.

   Daemontools is a powerful suite for maintaining high availability of
   your daemons. It serves a simple function: keep a daemon up, and log
   its output. Since it is not part of most distributions, most people
   don't take the time to learn much of this powerful alternative. While
   the operation is unlike any other service control system, it is not
   complicated.

   Daemontools' main attributes are:
     * it's easy to setup
     * it's easy to maintain
     * it's secure
     * it's well organized
     * it's reliable
     * it's always working

   Daemontools is licensed into the Public Domain, not GNU, but 100%
free.

   George will demonstrate the build, installation, and configuration of
   daemontools, also the set-up of a few daemons under it (please submit
   daemon request to george at galis.org before the time of the meeting). A
   few of the presenter's scripts and related packages will also be
   discussed.

   The package is simple enough that there (most likely) won't be any
   unanswered question, ``other than why aren't we using it?'' Come find
   out.

  For More Information Visit:

     * daemontools Homepage
        http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html
     * License Vetting by the FSF

http://www.gnu.org/directory/All_Packages_in_Directory/daemontools.html
     * Third Party man Pages, Public Domain Libraries
        http://smarden.org/pape/djb/
     * System and Kernel Logging Services
        http://smarden.org/socklog/

  About George Georgalis:

   George is a NYLUG member, works in the NYC Metropolitan Area, is a
*nix
   devotee, and maintains a traditional homepage (nice). He's helpful on
   the NYLUG lists, a good soul, and consequently will be spared
   purgatory. He's an asset.

   You can visit, mail or buzz him via http://galis.org/ or
   george at galis.org .

Free Stuff!
    Swag of undetermined value and quantity may be distributed on a
    first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for the best selection.

Keysignings
    GPG cryptography. Immediately after the presentation and continuing
    at Stammtisch we will be gathering for a keysigning. For those who
    already have keys, please remember to bring paper printouts of your
    40-character key fingerprint, as per the instructions in our howto
    docs. If you haven't created a key yet, and for keysigning details,
    our howto docs are a must read. http://www.nylug.org/keys

Stammtisch
    After the meeting ... Join us around 8:30pm or so at TGI Friday's,
    located at 677 Lexington Avenue and 56th Street, second floor.
    Northeast corner.

Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
stuff.

Monthly Reminder!
    Please read the NYLUG-Talk Posting Guidelines at:
    http://www.nylug.org/mlistguide/