[Announce-NYCBUG] August 3rd NYCBUG Meeting

announce-nycbug at lists.nycbug.org announce-nycbug at lists.nycbug.org
Tue Aug 2 09:46:16 EDT 2005

The New York City *BSD User Group Presents:

August 03, 2005

Hildo Biersma: Challenges of large Unix environment

6 pm, Soho Apple Store at 103 Prince Street

Hildo Biersma has worked at a large Wall Street firm since 2000 and uses
open-source tools to manage commercial software products such as IBM
MQSeries and DB2. Before 2000, he was a perl/Unix/C++ trainer and web
consultant.

The firm I work at has a large Unix environment (over 5,000 servers)
that are kept as identical as possible through the use of networked file
systems to hold programs, combined with centralized large-scale
administration tools.

The presentation will provide a minimal introduction of the environment,
then focus on the challenges that this environment poses when
integrating software, new hardware, or new operating systems. It will
highlight both the pros and cons of open source software and OSes.

I expect a lively discussion of why *BSD and the ports system are not
suitable, in their current form, to replace the Linux systems in use at
our firm.