[announce] NYC*BUG Tomorrow (time change), BSDCan

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Tue Dec 1 21:06:54 EST 2009

December 02, 2009, Wednesday

Holiday Meeting: Your Tips as Presents

PLEASE NOTE SLIGHTLY LATER TIME!

7:15 pm, Suspenders Restaurant

December`s meeting will be an opportunity for an array of people to
illustrate their Unix hacks.

In August, Dru Lavigne started a thread on NYCBUG`s talk about "fave BSD
tips/tricks?" that brought out some good discussion. We see this meeting
as a follow-up, and an opportunity to give your hacks "back to the
community" as a holiday gift.

Please submit your one page PDF to admin@, with one, two, or even three
simple tips. It might be simple and seemingly stupid, but it could save
a few minutes a day for another developer or sysadmin in the meeting.

It could be a creatively piped set of commands, or a simple script that
you run through periodic to prevent headaches. The field is wide open.

We will schedule a handful of ten minute or so speakers, and let the
crowd take it from there.

*	*	*	*

 From Dan Langille. . .

BSDCan 2010 will be held 13-14 May, 2010 in Ottawa at the University of
Ottawa. It will be preceded by two days of tutorials on 11-12 May.

We are now accepting proposals for talks.

The talks should be designed with a very strong technical content bias.
Proposals of a business development or marketing nature are not
appropriate for this venue.

If you are doing something interesting with a BSD operating system,
please submit a proposal. Whether you are developing a very complex
system using BSD as the foundation, or helping others and have a story
to tell about how BSD played a role, we want to hear about your
experience.  People using BSD as a platform for research are also
encouraged to submit a proposal. Possible topics include:

* How we manage a giant installation with respect to handling spam.
* and/or sysadmin.
* and/or networking.

 From the BSDCan website, the Archives section will allow you to review
the wide variety of past BSDCan presentations as further examples.

Both users and developers are encouraged to share their experiences.

The schedule is:

19 Dec 2009 Proposal acceptance begins
19 Jan 2010 Proposal acceptance ends
19 Feb 2010 Confirmation of accepted proposals

See also <http://www.bsdcan.org/2010/papers.php>

Instructions for submitting a proposal to BSDCan 2010 are available
from: <http://www.bsdcan.org/2010/submissions.php>