[announce] NYCBUG Wednesday Jan 6 and more

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Wed Dec 30 12:56:53 EST 2009

A bunch of happenings with the new year. . . . and a happy one to all.

Next meeting:

January 06, 2010
Hadoop a Worldwind Tour

6:45 PM, Suspenders Restaurant
http://www.suspendersbar.com/location.php

This presentation gives a brief high level overview of Hadoop. Next, we
hit the ground running with a quick practical example of how Hadoop
solves a "big data" problem. We also discuss how the demonstrated Hadoop
processing model scales out to terabytes of data and hundreds or even
thousands of computers.

slides are at http://www.nycbug.org/files/meeting_2010-01.pdf

Edward Capriolo, works at About.com System Operations. When not in
break-fix mode, he researches high/traffic high-availability and
scalable solutions. Edward is a committer to the Apache Hadoop Hive sub
project.

*	*	*

NYCBUG is now (finally?) on FaceBook.

*	*	*

Note that BSDCan is moving full steam ahead.

http://www.bsdcan.org/2010/

It will be held May 13-14, with two days of tutorials beforehand.

*	*	*

Also, there will be a BSD Certification exam and SME session on February 7.

See http://www.bsdcertification.org for more details.