[announce] NYC*BUG Wednesday, and more

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Mon Nov 30 17:44:02 EST 2009

This week's NYC*BUG meeting is Wednesday.  We still have space for
another speaker or two.  Please contact admin@ offlist.

December 02, 2009, Wednesday
Holiday Meeting: Your Tips as Presents

6:45 pm, Suspenders Restaurant

December`s meeting will be an opportunity for an array of people to
illustrate their Unix hacks.

In August, Dru Lavigne started a thread
(http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/talk/2009-August/012665.html) on
NYCBUG`s talk about "fave BSD tips/tricks?" that brought out some good
discussion. We see this meeting as a follow-up, and an opportunity to
give your hacks "back to the community" as a holiday gift.

Please submit your one page PDF to admin@, with one, two, or even three
simple tips. It might be simple and seemingly stupid, but it could save
a few minutes a day for another developer or sysadmin in the meeting.

It could be a creatively piped set of commands, or a simple script that
you run through periodic to prevent headaches. The field is wide open.

We will schedule a handful of ten minute or so speakers, and let the
crowd take it from there.

*	*	*	*

The BSD Certification Group's Jobs Task Analysis survey is open until
midnight tonight.

We strongly recommend you assist the survey, as it will help shape the
next BSD Certification exam and provide some very useful raw data to the
community.

http://surveys.bsdcertification.org/phpESP/public/survey.php?name=BSDP01_en

*	*	*	*

USENIX has posted a number of their upcoming events for 2010 in our
"Events & Cons" section on NYCBUG.org.  We strongly recommend that you
look at the listing and continue to support USENIX, who are not only a
vital part of the Unix community, but also have generously supported
NYC*BUG for a long while.