[announce] Some NYC*BUG announcements

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Sun Mar 21 23:01:07 EDT 2010

* Jobs list for internships

* BSDCan registration is open

* Upcoming meetings

* The NYC*BUG data center cabinet

* NYCBSDCon 2010 update

*	*	*	*	*	*

We are opening up (and soliciting) the use of our jobs list
(http://lists.nycbug.org) to internships.  Please let admin@ know if you
have any questions, but we strongly believe that broadening the list's
function will be an asset to NYCBUG and our various relations.

We have a number of very bright Cooper Union electrical engineering
students interested in opportunities.

*	*	*	*	*	*

Registration for BSDCan is now open at
http://www.bsdcan.org/2010/registration.php.

BSDCan 2010 will be held on 13-14 May 2010 at the University of Ottawa,
in Canada, and will be preceded by two days of tutorials on 11-12 May 2010.

We strongly encourage everyone to attend.

Feel free to query the talk@ list to sort out car-pooling, etc.

*	*	*	*	*	*

The next two meetings will be security-focused, approaching honey pots
with Nepenthes on April 7th and packet-manipulation with Scapy on May 5th.

If you have a possible topic for a meeting, please contact admin at .

*	*	*	*	*	*

We are updating the NYCBUG.org web site to include more information
about our data center cabinet at New York Internet.  We continue to host
an array of services there, beyond the immediate NYCBUG functions,
including a number of developer boxes, the BSD Certification Group, the
main pfSense server and much more.

We will be including a section on various needs to further assist us in
building out the cabinet's usefulness to the entire BSD community.

At this time, we need the following hardware, and would be excited to
get replies on admin@:

1.  Large SCSI and SATA hard drives

2.  A NAS device with large disk capacity, preferably rack-mountable

3.  Gigabit switches

4.  Console (remote KVM) hardware

Part of our plan is to implement mirrors for each of the BSD projects,
including as many archived releases as possible.

Finally, plans are moving forward for NYCBSDCon 2010.  It will likely be
held in early November.

We are proud to announce that we will be working closely with
BSDFund.org, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, on this year's conference.

Start considering possible proposals for the CFP set for early summer,
new sponsoring vendors, broader publicity, etc.

We will have an open organizing meeting for the conference in the early
summer.  Stay tuned.