[announce] NYC*BUG Tomorrow: Alexis Lê-Quôc on Aggregating Metrics & Events

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Tue Jul 5 19:44:18 EDT 2011

July 06, 2011
Alexis Lê-Quôc on Aggregating Metrics & Events

6:45 PM, Suspenders Restaurant backroom
111 Broadway in Manhattan
http://www.suspendersbar.com/

Aggregating metrics & events, a necessity to grok systems & apps

Take any off-the-shelf web application, scale it a bit, put in on the
cloud. It`s faster, cheaper and easier to assemble & deploy than before.
But easier to operate it is not. Whereas 2-4 boxes with 40 metrics each
would suffice for the entire app 10 years ago, we`re looking at 10s or
100s of nodes acting semi-autonomously and an avalanche of system
metrics, system events, alerts to weed through.

The only way out is through aggregation, filtering and visualization,
which is the topic of this talk. Starting the talk from where we should
be, we will then look at some libraries/applications that you can use to
do this and discuss where these currently fall short.

Biography

Alexis co-founded Datadog to help fellow developers and webops track in
real-time events, changes and metrics that can affect their
applications. He currently splits his time between caring for Datadog’s
data stack and thinking about how to improve the product.

Prior to Datadog Alexis was building infrastructure software and leading
a team of IT operations staff as a Director of Operations for Wireless
Generation, supporting several million teachers in the U.S. In practice
that has meant everything from racking servers to obsessing over sql
queries, to writing embedded code deployed in teachers` hands
nationwide. In an earlier life he spent time optimizing the performance
of web applications for Orange’s 25 million mobile subscribers in France.